Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi,thank you for your website I have watche ROAD TO AVONLEA series and in eoisode 1 I've heard this sentence..please explain me the meaning of it:
"There is nothing less becoming to a young lady than puffed up airs"

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not familiar with the series, but I suspect it is set at least 100 years ago.
It means "It's not very attractive for a young lady to act as if she is more important than she really is", or "It doesn't look good for a girl to act posh".

maryam63

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi,thank you very much,it was very kind of you helping me in learning english,I am a learner of english so I have many problems in understanding the idioms,I will count on your help..thank you very much again

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. Thank you very much, it was very kind of you to help[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] me [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] to learn[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] English. I am a learner of English so I have many problems in understanding the idioms. I will count on your help. Thank you very much again​.

We are very happy to help you. Please help us by making your posts readable using appropriate capitalisation, punctuation and spacing. See the corrections I have made to your post above in red, and remember the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- Always capitalise proper nouns (English, London, the Empire State Building).
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.