Pluralizing a last name

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I never paid much attention to the part in English where you pluralized last names since my maiden name ended with an "r". I now have the last name of Stokes. How do I pluralize it for customization of stuff? Like if I wanted my family name on a door mat...should it read "The Stokes'", "The Stokeses", "The Stokes's", or "The Stokes". I have avoided it thus far by simply put "The Stokes Family" on everything. I can't get away with it much longer!

Thank you!

Christine

Last edited by a moderator:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Unregistered said:
I never paid much attention to the part in English where you pluralized last names since my maiden name ended with an "r". I now have the last name of Stokes. How do I pluralize it for customization of stuff? Like if I wanted my family name on a door mat...should it read "The Stokes'", "The Stokeses", "The Stokes's", or "The Stokes". I have avoided it thus far by simply put "The Stokes Family" on everything. I can't get away with it much longer!

Thank you!

Christine
The Smith family (Adjective: What kind of family?)
The Smiths (Plural Noun e.g., We are the Smiths.)
The Smith's (Possessive Noun e.g., This is the Smith's car.)

The Stokes family (Adjective: What kind of family?)
The Stokes (Plural Noun e.g., We are the Stokes.)
The Stokes' (Possessive Noun e.g., This is the Stokes' car.)

Note, since "Stokes" already ends in -s, don't add another -s when you want to make it plural or possessive. For the possessive, just add an apostrophe, like this, Stockes', pronounced Stokes[Iz].

Use the plural noun Stockes for your doormat. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.