Pluralizing last names

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I never paid much attention to the part in English where you pluralized last names since my maiden name ended with an "r". I now have the last name of Stokes. How do I pluralize it for customization of stuff? Like if I wanted my family name on a door mat...should it read "The Stokes'", "The Stokeses", "The Stokes's", or "The Stokes". I have avoided it thus far by simply put "The Stokes Family" on everything. I can't get away with it much longer!

Thank you!

Christine

Last edited by a moderator:

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
A clarification

Dear Casiopea, I have sent you a message, but probably I have done a mistake and you didn't get it. So, I'm trying this way...

You told me to use " I wish I HAD BOUGHT a new car" instead of " I wish I BOUGHT a new car"; but I was referring to a present situation, not to the past.
What do you think? Does the sentence " I wish I bought a new car" sound strange to you for some reason? Please tell me your opinion.
When you read the sentence you changed the simple past into the the past perfect; so I think my original sentence didn't convey the right idea, or better, the idea I had in mind ( that is the reference to the present) and that I wanted to express. It's really important for me.
Rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.