Present Simple or Progressive?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I stay with my sister until the work's finished" could describe a regular event. "I am staying with my sister until the work's finished" describes somebody's intentions.

:)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:

To me, "I'll be staying with my sister until the work's finished" expresses a future intention stated in continuous time, whereas "I'm staying with my sister until the work's finished" expresses a present event stated in continuous time. As for ?"I stay with my sister until the work's finished", I'm at a loss at to what it means. It's not acceptable in my dialect of English. :shock:

Cas :)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Example:

  • I am the assistant manager at X, where my sister is the manager. We don't have regular hours. I stay with my sister until the work's finished, then we go home.

Eh?

:)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The 'I stay' sentence makes no sense to me as the 'while' clause suggests it's a one-off event. ;-)
 

Firelord

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
how about when we use "since"
I stay with my sister since the work's finished.
I am staying with my sister since the work's finished.

which one is correct?

for this topic "until"
i choose stay for it
reason:
stay, in here means a period of time
am stay, means a point
can you say that it is a point? No, so i choose stay
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Neither is correct- since points backwards.

'am staying'is correct because it shows that the action is temporary. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
Example:

  • I am the assistant manager at X, where my sister is the manager. We don't have regular hours. I stay with my sister until the work's finished, then we go home.

Eh?

:)

I agree with you. It is a perfectly reasonable sentence when it is used to describe a habit. :wink:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Example:

  • I am the assistant manager at X, where my sister is the manager. We don't have regular hours. I stay with my sister until the work's finished, then we go home.

Eh?

:)

I agree with you. It is a perfectly reasonable sentence when it is used to describe a habit. :wink:

It's about time somebody agreed with me.

:wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Example:

  • I am the assistant manager at X, where my sister is the manager. We don't have regular hours. I stay with my sister until the work's finished, then we go home.

Eh?

:)

I agree with you. It is a perfectly reasonable sentence when it is used to describe a habit. :wink:

It's about time somebody agreed with me.

:wink:

I often do. :wink:
 

dr_linguista

Junior Member
Joined
May 8, 2005
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
RonBee said:
"I stay with my sister until the work's finished" could describe a regular event. "I am staying with my sister until the work's finished" describes somebody's intentions.

:)

Same here...:)
 

abudia

New member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Member Type
English Teacher
Saying "...............untill the work's finished means that the action "stay" is temporary so we use the present progressive tense.
 

libra110

New member
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Member Type
Student or Learner
I think it expressing a complaint : " i am staying with my sister until the work's finished "
you will finish your work( or your sis will finish her work ) and now you have to stay with my sister ...making complaint ( may be)
it corect : " I am always staying wiht my sister until the work's finished
 

Teia

Key Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2006
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
I`m staying..until the work`s finished - planned action
 

emergine

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Member Type
Student or Learner
i am staying with my sister till her work is finished so u con go home see u in the morning
 

ituaku

New member
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Member Type
Student or Learner
i voted for am staying..

i think if u wanna use stay it's better this way (is wat i think)

" i'll stay with my sister until the work's finished "

ok, "until" indicates that the work ain't finish yet so the use of will is truly appropriate..:-D

" i stayed with my sister till the work's finished "

i changed until to till and stay to stayed to show it's a past event...
 

béatrice moreno

New member
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
the narrator shows she,he is determined by using the progressive tense.
 
Top