proofreading and grammar software

Status
Not open for further replies.

gil45

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,

Due to my work I need to write many business related emails everyday, there are days where it comes to dozens. Not once it happened that after delivering important emails or documents I find embarrassing grammatical errors or missing punctuation marks. (I guess I'm not the only one... ;-))

In order to avoid these problems, I just let word's automatic grammar checker correct my english together with another grammar software I recently found, however, I wonder if anyone could recommend of a professional tool that combines the following: proofreading, grammatical analysis and simplifying my writing in order to make long emails short and effective…

I know there are many solutions out there, but none seem to be able to answer all of my needs and I would appreciate a professional advice before I spend my money on useless solutions.

Thanks.

Gilbert.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Caveat emptor (if you'll excuse my Fr... Latin :-D). Any such system exposes you to the prescriptions of whoever wrote the software. For example, just try typing "which" without a preceding comma in Word, and see what happens. Many of my colleagues at DEC (as was) used to use Grammatik, but I always preferred a mixture of books, education, and common sense.

b

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
I do so agree! I use grammar checks as a final line sometimes, and even then tend to ignore their prescriptions.

Much better to have a good basic printed grammar guide on your desk. :-?

gil45

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for the quick replies and advices.

For sure no grammar check software is able to analyze sentences as the human mind, I agree that holding a grammar guide is much more accurate than any professional english grammar software, but for a busy person as myself who needs to write 'tons' of emails and other documentation, there is simply no time to manually proofread text...:-(

Even if such grammar software can help with 20%-30% on correcting and improving my english writing that is already something and a real time saver for me, I just can't imagine myself opening a grammar guide while writing my emails...

Question is how reliable these grammar tools can get and which engines are considered as most accurate? How do they analyze grammar anyway…?

Cheers,

Gilbert.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
...but for a busy person as myself who needs to write 'tons' of emails and other documentation, there is simply no time to manually proofread text...:-(

As someone once told me when I'd caused lots of extra work by trying to save time, 'If you haven't got time to do it right, you have to find time to put it right.' ;-)

In my experience of this sort of software, grammar-checkers make suggestions (and sometimes even 'corrections') that are at best from silly to pointless, and at worst wrong; I've never known such a checker that wasn't more trouble than it was worth. But it's up to you.

b

rmsh16

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
do we not get this software a free of cost??
can we download from internet??

enydia

Member Type
Student or Learner
As someone once told me when I'd caused lots of extra work by trying to save time, 'If you haven't got time to do it right, you have to find time to put it right.' ;-)
Excuse me, how to understand exactly the meaning of this sentence? What's the difference between do and put ?

In my experience of this sort of software, grammar-checkers make suggestions (and sometimes even 'corrections') that are at best from silly to pointless, and at worst wrong; I've never known such a checker that wasn't more trouble than it was worth. But it's up to you.

b

thanks

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
do we not get this software a free of cost??
can we download from internet??

There are plenty of free programs out there, but most are dreadful (if they work). Nothing in human existence is more complex than language so ask yourself how likely it is that a couple of people coding some shareware will have managed to create algorithms that manage to encapsulate this complexity. The Microsoft Grammar Check in Word has never managed to make any true headway with this, and that is with their wealth and resources. Freeware and Shareware are very unlikely to be the places to look. Just like Speech-to-Text programs, the complexity of the task is such that professional software will be flavoured.

Also, if there were a program out there that really could proofread and correct language to a very high standard, it would be as well-known as programs like Word. In fact, it would probably be bought by them for billions and integrated into their Office suite. :roll:

rmsh16

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Also, if there were a program out there that really could proofread and correct language to a very high standard, it would be as well-known as programs like Word. In fact, it would probably be bought by them for billions and integrated into their Office suite. :roll:

Dear Mr. Tdol,

Thank you for the valuable comments..... btw, can you suggest the site where in i can download from internet for free of cost. i just want to
experience and to know its merits & demerits. please provide me the link.

thanks......
rasna

janelove

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

Due to my work I need to write many business related emails everyday, there are days where it comes to dozens. Not once it happened that after delivering important emails or documents I find embarrassing grammatical errors or missing punctuation marks. (I guess I'm not the only one... ;-))

In order to avoid these problems, I just let word's automatic grammar checker correct my english together with another grammar software I recently found, however, I wonder if anyone could recommend of a professional tool that combines the following: proofreading, grammatical analysis and simplifying my writing in order to make long emails short and effective…

I know there are many solutions out there, but none seem to be able to answer all of my needs and I would appreciate a professional advice before I spend my money on useless solutions.

Thanks.

Gilbert.

in the newest version of firefox is actually a checker included. wrongly spelled words get underlined in red..

Status
Not open for further replies.