Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&quot]Webster Dictionary definition of Proper noun : a noun that designates a particular being or thing, does not take a limiting modifier, and is usually capitalized in English [/FONT][FONT=&quot]— called also proper name

A group of us got together for coffee and most of them agreed that the word Chia was not a proper noun. The main point of their argument was that everywhere they found it on the web in the middle of a sentence it was not capitalized. I maintained that just because
most of the web writers did not properly capitalize it did not make it a common noun. Chia is a specific plant making it a proper noun. Is this correct?

[/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Webster Dictionary definition of ​a proper noun : a noun that designates a particular being or thing, does not take a limiting modifier, and is usually capitalized in English — called also proper name

A group of us got together for coffee and most of [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] ​the group agreed that the word "Chia" was not a proper noun. The main point of their argument was that everywhere they found it on the web in the middle of a sentence it was not capitalized. I maintained that just because most of the web writers did not properly capitalize it did not make it a common noun. Chia is a specific plant making it a proper noun. Is this correct?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

No. There is no reason to capitalise "chia" except at the beginning of a sentence (or an entire sentence in quotes).

Put chia seeds in your smoothie for a great protein hit.
I bought another bag of chia seeds today.
Chia seeds are very healthy.
I said "Chia seeds are very expensive this week".

It's a common noun.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Capitalize Chia if it is somebody's name. Otherwise, no.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Of course, there are the Chia Pets - a series of terracotta figurines on which you spread chia seeds, which then sprout to mimic hair or fur. They come in a wide array of animals, cartoon characters, and even real figures.

I've only had the original model which was some kind of sheep or ram, but I now see there's a Bob Ross. I may have to order one for nostalgia's sake.

If you happen to use up the small packet of chia seeds that come with it, you can use any other small sprouting seed, such as alfalfa, mustard, or radish, as long as it's small enough to catch in the grooved texture.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . Chia is a specific plant making it a proper noun. Is this correct?

No. If that were true, than rose, rye grass, blue spruce, tulip, daisy, thistle, pine, moss, and redwood would all be proper nouns.

In other centuries, many or most nouns were capitalized.

rw2.jpg

We don't do that anymore.

Attachments

• Key_Into_the_Language_of_America.jpg
    Key_Into_the_Language_of_America.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2
  • rw.jpg
    rw.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2