Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Walter wants to divorce Kitty on the grounds of adultery for Kitty having affair with Charlie. But Kitty ask him that she want to file divorce on him.

Kitty: You could let me divorce you quietly.
Walter: You divorce me? On what grounds, may I ask?
Kitty: That's what a gentleman would do.
Walter: Can you give me one reason I should...put myself to the smallest inconvenience on your account?

What is the meaning of "put myself to the smallest inconvenience on your account"?

Source: The Painted Veil 2006

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Walter wants to divorce Kitty on the grounds of adultery for Kitty having affair with Charlie. But Kitty tells him that she wants to file the divorce papers.

Kitty: You could let me divorce you quietly.
Walter: You divorce me? On what grounds, may I ask?
Kitty: That's what a gentleman would do.
Walter: Can you give me one reason I should...put myself to the smallest inconvenience on your account?

What is the meaning of "put myself to the smallest inconvenience on your account"?

Source: The Painted Veil 2006

Walter doesn't want to do the least little thing for Kitty.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
kingston_123, please look at the layout of post #1 now that I have edited out all the unnecessary line breaks. I have done this to almost all your recent posts. I had hoped that you would notice the difference and start to copy the layout but you haven't.
You don't need to leave so many empty lines. Write your opening sentence/paragraph, then leave an empty line, then write the dialogue with no empty lines between the speakers' words, leave an empty line after the dialogue before asking your main question.