Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Does the verb, "put" need 'preposions and place' or 'adverb'? I want to know saying " I put the books." is wrong instead of saying "I put the books in the bag" or "I put the books in".

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Does the verb, "put" need [STRIKE]'preposions and place' or 'adverb'[/STRIKE] a preposition, a place or an adverb? I want to know [STRIKE]saying[/STRIKE] the correct way to say, " I put the books." Is it wrong [STRIKE]instead of saying [/STRIKE] to say "I put the books in the bag" or "I put the books in"?

It is only logical you put the books somewhere, whether it is on or in. Without saying where you put the book, the sentence sounds strange, unless you have mentioned the place to put the books earlier.

asako87

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It is only logical you put the books somewhere, whether it is on or in. Without saying where you put the book, the sentence sounds strange, unless you have mentioned the place to put the books earlier.
Thank you for correcting my wrong expressions. I learned a lot. Then is it okay to say "I put the books." when I said the place to put the books earlier?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. Don't use "put the books". Instead, say:

I put the books on a shelf.

Or:

I put the books in a drawer.

Or:

I put the books in the cabinet.

Or something similar.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Without saying where you put the book, the sentence sounds strange, unless you have mentioned the place to put the books earlier.
The underlined part is incorrect.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I agree with tedmc that it's strange but not impossible. For example, James finds all sorts of stuff piled on the table. He gets annoyed and decides to ask the kids.

James: Come on. Own up. Who put the CDs on the table?
Micheal: I did.
James: And who put the books there?
Shane: I put the books.

Note that "I put the books in" would similarly work if we were talking about, e.g., a suitcase (instead of a table).