Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please first confirm my understanding of the following sentences:

I need some chairs. In this sentence the speaker does not mention that he has some chairs in advance or not.
I need other chairs. In this sentence the speaker mentions that he has some chairs in advance and he needs more chairs now.

If my understanding of the following sentences is correc then tell me what does this sentence mean.

I need some other chairs.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please first confirm my understanding of the following sentences:

I need some chairs. In this sentence the speaker does not mention that he has some chairs in advance or not.
I need other chairs. In this sentence the speaker mentions that he has some chairs in advance and he needs more chairs now.

If my understanding of the following sentences is correc then tell me what does this sentence mean.

I need some other chairs.

You are right that "I need some chairs" gives us no idea whether the speaker already has some or not.

"I need [some] other chairs" is not a clear sentence. To me, it means "I have some chairs but I don't like/want them so I want to exchange them for some different chairs". "Other" doesn't really work.

If the speaker has some chairs and wants more, that is exactly what he/she would say "I want [some] more chairs".

toloue_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is better for me to change my examples into another sentence that does not signify additional items.

This route to London takes too long. There must be some route that is shorter. These bold words signify indefiniteness such as the article a.
This route to London takes too long. There must be another route that is shorter. These bold words do not signify indefiniteness.

And finally what does it mean?
This route to London takes too long. There must be some other route that is shorter.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is an "idefiniteness"?