English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

The building must be kept in a condition ensuring its safety.
The building must be kept in a condition that ensures its safety.

Which one is good English? I feel it should be the second one as it is clearer but any other reasons? Why? Does it have to be a condition? Why not the condition?

[....]an act or comission on the part of the Party which / that led to the injury and which/ that entails liability under statutory law.

Which or that? Why?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

the building must be kept in a condition ensuring its safety.
the building must be kept in a condition that ensures its safety.

which is good English? Why? does it have to be a condition? Why not the condition?

an act or comission on the part of the Party which / that led to the injury and which/ that entails liability under statutory law.

which or that? Why? :oops:

Please repost your question using correct capitalisation. You say you are an English teacher, please set a good example for learners.

magdalena

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Well, I am still waiting for help, it's important to me...

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

The building must be kept in a condition ensuring its safety.
The building must be kept in a condition that ensures its safety.

Which one is good English? I feel it should be the second one as it is clearer but any other reasons? Why? Either one may be used with the same meaning. Does it have to be a condition? Why not the condition? No specific condition or requirements have been stated, therefore "a condition".

[....]an act or comission on the part of the Party which / that led to the injury and which/ that entails liability under statutory law.
Which or that? Why? Use "that" because that portion of the statement is a restrictive clause and adds meaning to the statement.

And finally, your statement, "Well, I am still waiting for help, it's important to me..." is rather "impertinent to me" and I suspect to other responders in the forum. Patience is a virtue, as they say.

magdalena

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Sorry that you should feel offended, as for me I feel only happy when my help is important:)

Status
Not open for further replies.