Question marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGIA_MURILLO

Member Type
Student or Learner
I was wondering, Why in English language and some other languages, there
's only one question mark at the end of a sentence?.
In Spanish language we use the question mark in the beggining and at the end too...
eg. En How are you?

Sp ¿Cómo estás?

je, Is this a silly question?:oops:

Thanks!

Ligia M.

Hi_there_Carl

Member Type
English Teacher
I think Spanish is the only western language where there is a question mark also at the beginning of a question... This is just the way the language evolved I guess. ;-)

LIGIA_MURILLO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello Carl, could it be this?
I think we add a question mark at the beggining because sometimes that's the only way to create an emphasis when asking something.

Eg.

Hola, estoy harto Affirmative

Hola, ¿estoy harto? Question

Can you see the difference? I don't, the only difference is the question mark. In English you need to change the order to create a question:

Hello, I am fed up. Affirmative

Hello, Am I fed up?. Question

The subject at the beggining will 'act' like the question mark.... Do you think that could be the reason?,

Sorry, like Albert Einstein said: 'I am only passionately curious'.

Thanks Carl.

Ligia

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Interesting question, and I note that you are just curious. For the reason Spanish uses an inverted question mark perhaps you would be better answered in Spain.

We have no need to place any emphasis at the beginning of a question. And although the question can be posed in a number of different ways this does not influence how we use the punctuation.
Simply put, a question is a question; hence a question mark.

LIGIA_MURILLO

Member Type
Student or Learner
Wow Soup, that was an interesting link, thanks for your help, now I think I'm satisfied with that and all the other links

Thanks to all!.

Status
Not open for further replies.