question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taka

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have questions about this lyrics:

http://www.lyricsdomain.com/1/aha/take_on_me.html

Question#1: What does take on me, take me on mean there? I think it might be close to "accept me", but I'm not sure on this one.

Question#2: I learned in the U.S that "verb+pronoun+on, off, away, etc" is possible but "verb+on, off, away, etc+pronoun" is not acceptable. Why "take on me"??
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taka said:
I have questions about this lyrics:

http://www.lyricsdomain.com/1/aha/take_on_me.html

Question#1: What does take on me, take me on mean there? I think it might be close to "accept me", but I'm not sure on this one.

Question#2: I learned in the U.S that "verb+pronoun+on, off, away, etc" is possible but "verb+on, off, away, etc+pronoun" is not acceptable. Why "take on me"??

I don't know what the lyrics are supposed to mean. "Take me on" can mean anything from "try me" to "hire me" to "fight me". "Take on me" doesn't really mean anything. One can have a "take on someone", which means an oopinion or a feeling about someone.

When you come to these rules about phrasal verbs, remember that there are constructions, for example of verb + preposition "on" + pronoun, that are fine if the verb is not a separable phrasal verb.

He hit on her.
They walk on her.
 

Taka

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
MikeNewYork said:
When you come to these rules about phrasal verbs, remember that there are constructions, for example of verb + preposition "on" + pronoun, that are fine if the verb is not a separable phrasal verb.

He hit on her.
They walk on her.

I know the rule, and that's why I'm asking this question. "If the verb is not a separable phrasal verb". This is the rule. You can't say "They walk her on", right? But the lyrics say "take on me, take me on". Why???
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A take on someone is an opinion about them. Might that be the case here? I don't know the song.;-)
 

shane

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
tdol said:
A take on someone is an opinion about them. Might that be the case here? I don't know the song.;-)

It's the song from the 80s, sung by A-Ha. I don't know what they are talking about though. ;)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Weren't the Norwegian or something? ;-)
 

shane

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
tdol said:
Weren't the Norwegian or something? ;-)

Yes, I'm pretty sure they were Nowegian or something. The only other thing I remember them for is the James Bond theme song. The Living Daylights, wasn't it? :wink:
 

Taka

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Er...teachers...what is the meaning anyway? It doesn't make any sense? Is that your answer?
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think we're all agreed that they don't make sense. Maybe they just sounded nice and fitted the tune. ;-)
 

Taka

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
OK, I understand.

Thanks, teachers.
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taka said:
OK, I understand.

Thanks, teachers.

I agree that it makes no sense. It is probably just poetic license. :wink:
 

Taka

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top