Member Type
Student or Learner
can we say ?
If I were you, I'd marry her.
or If I was you, I'd marry her.

What is right? why?

Lenka

Francois

Strictly speaking one should say 'if I were you', but 'if I was you' is so widespread that it's not frowned upon anymore.

FRC

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Lenka said:
can we say ?

What is right? why?

Lenka

Francois might be giving the British English perspective. "If I was you" is still frowned upon in American English, at least by those who can make a difference in one's life. :wink:

gonghai

Lenka said:
can we say ?

What is right? why?

Lenka

i think if i were you sounds correct
if i was you it sounds awkward

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
gonghai said:
Lenka said:
can we say ?

What is right? why?

Lenka

i think if i were you sounds correct
if i was you it sounds awkward

I agree. :wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

alan

I think I would use "were" here since i was taught that "were" should be used for all persons in this particular pattern.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Lenka said:
Look here:
https://www.usingenglish.com/articles/second-conditional.html
just at the end os the site is a small table where is written this:

I were you, I'd marry her.

If I was you, I'd marry her.

How can I understand it?

Lenka

The subjunctive is a bit strange.

If I were you (subjunctive mood) tells the listener that the speaker knows that the proposal could not be true or is extremely unlikely to be true.

If I was you (indicative mood) tells the listener that the speaker bleieves that the proposal is true or at least very likely to be true.

In this case it is impossible for the speaker to be the listener. That is why the subjunctive is correct.

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have some new questions:

1) Can we write Paris’s love (of book Romeo and Juliet) and read it like „Parises“ ?

2) Is your news good or bad? – this is a sentence I have read in book Romeo and Juliet. „News“ is plural, so why did they say „Is“ instead of „Are“ ?

3) How did you get in here? - I am not sure, but I think I have read this in Romeo and juliet too. Anyway, why is the preposition „IN“ there? Could we say: How did you get here? Which cases can I use „in here“ and which can I use just „here“ with?

4) wanna = want to?
Gonna = going to?

5) This is my last question. It doesn’t concern grammar. How can we end informal letter or an e-mail to a friend, boy? Can we use Love, Hugs, or Kisses? He is just my friend I don’t know that if when I use for example LOVE he won’t think I love him. Does it sound stupid? What would you think when you got a letter ended with one of these words? I still haven’t got the English flair and sense for what is good to use.
I hope you will help me.

+ 6) Well, I just remembered one really last question. What does gotta mean? is it got to?

Thanks, Lenka

Francois

Can we write Paris’s love (of book Romeo and Juliet) and read it like „Parises“ ?
I don't think Paris's is correct. Add an apostrophe only (no s) if you need to use a possessive.

How did you get in here?
I believe you can use either get or get in. The latter says that you're in a house, a building etc.

wanna = want to?
Gonna = going to?
Yes

What does gotta mean? is it got to?
Yes

How can we end informal letter or an e-mail to a friend
"Take care" for instance.

FRC

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
It is interesting, because I think there was Paris's love in tzhe book. Anyway, thank you for the answers. But what about question number 2?
+ question 5: which other words could I use to end it? I don't still want to write just TAKE CARE. Can I write:
Hugs,
Lenka
?

Thanks.

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Please, answer (anyone) my questions!
Here I have other question, number 7)
Which one is right?
I am proud of me/myself.
Me or myself?

Lenka

A

Ahmed88

I am proud of me/mysel
Me f.or myself?

I am proud of myself.
He is proud of hiself
She is proud of herself etc.
But
I am proud of him / her / them

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Could someone answer these questions again?

I have some new questions:

1) Can we write Paris’s love (of book Romeo and Juliet) and read it like „Parises“ ?

2) Is your news good or bad? – this is a sentence I have read in book Romeo and Juliet. „News“ is plural, so why did they say „Is“ instead of „Are“ ?

3) How did you get in here? - I am not sure, but I think I have read this in Romeo and juliet too. Anyway, why is the preposition „IN“ there? Could we say: How did you get here? Which cases can I use „in here“ and which can I use just „here“ with?

4) wanna = want to?
Gonna = going to?

5) This is my last question. It doesn’t concern grammar. How can we end informal letter or an e-mail to a friend, boy? Can we use Love, Hugs, or Kisses? He is just my friend I don’t know that if when I use for example LOVE he won’t think I love him. Does it sound stupid? What would you think when you got a letter ended with one of these words? I still haven’t got the English flair and sense for what is good to use.
I hope you will help me.

+ 6) Well, I just remembered one really last question. What does gotta mean? is it got to?

Thanks, Lenka

At least these:
It is interesting, because I think there was Paris's love in tzhe book. Anyway, thank you for the answers. But what about question number 2?
+ question 5: which other words could I use to end it? I don't still want to write just TAKE CARE. Can I write:
Hugs,
Lenka
?

Lenka

Francois

Yes, I think you can write Paris's love, though I believe it looks better with just an apostrophe.

FRC

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
So what would you think about someone who would end his e-mail to you by:

love,
Lenka

What would you think of him?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If it's a friend or family, it's fine.- it would look a bit strange otherwise. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.