Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The sentence:

During the last two decades, multiculturarism has become recognized as a powerful force, not just for understanding "exotic" groups but also understanding ourselves and those with whom we work in a complicated social context.

Does that "those" refer to "groups"? Or is it just one of those "those-who" constructions?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would say it meant those indibviduals of diffrerent cultural or ethnic groups. PS multiculturalism. :lol:

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:
I would say it meant those indibviduals of diffrerent cultural or ethnic groups. PS multiculturalism. :lol:

So, gramatically the word "those" is a reference term pointing to "exotic groups"?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Exotic groups' is the source of the reference, though I don't think it's an exact reference. BTW, can I just say that I hate the term whether it's in inverted commas or not.:lol:

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:
'Exotic groups' is the source of the reference, though I don't think it's an exact reference.

I see. Gramatically, it can be a "those-who" construction. But semantically, it implies "exotic groups", right?

Thank you, tdol!

tdol said:
BTW, can I just say that I hate the term whether it's in inverted commas or not.:lol:

Why do you hate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.