question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissum

Member Type
Student or Learner
I guess most of non-native english speakers would have the same trouble as i have-that is when we are speaking in english, there are many comman gramma problems in our conversation such as he eats an apple, the verb "eat",we ofter forget to put the "s" after that. and some other examples, the past tense, the plural. despite we all know those gramma terms in writing, but we still make mistakes when having a conversation. but if i take it as a serious problem to consider whether i should put "s","ed", then another problem comes out-slowing down my response, makeing other gramma mistakes without conscious.then my question is if i should take this as a serious problem, in what way i can improve it.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
[NOT A TEACHER]

Practice makes perfection.
What a beautiful quote.

The more you practice, the more confident you feel to do it easily.

Don't get worried about errors, just imitate native speakers. Talk to them as possible as you can. Remember that before you start reading or writing, you have to feel confident when you talk to people, I mean, fluency first. No one becomes fluent by reading text books.

chrissum

Member Type
Student or Learner
[NOT A TEACHER]

Practice makes perfection.
What a beautiful quote.

Don't get worried about errors, just imitate native speakers. Talk to them as possible as you can. Remember that before you start reading or writing, you have to feel confident when you talk to people, I mean, fluency first. No one becomes fluent by reading text books.
you really help me a lot, many thanks for that.

NearThere

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
I guess most of non-native english speakers would have the same trouble as i have-that is when we are speaking in english, there are many comman gramma problems in our conversation such as he eats an apple, the verb "eat",we ofter forget to put the "s" after that. and some other examples, the past tense, the plural. despite we all know those gramma terms in writing, but we still make mistakes when having a conversation. but if i take it as a serious problem to consider whether i should put "s","ed", then another problem comes out-slowing down my response, makeing other gramma mistakes without conscious.then my question is if i should take this as a serious problem, in what way i can improve it.

You summed up my my fundamental problems regarding speaking English. Thanks.

NT

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
[NOT A TEACHER]

Practice makes perfection. Practice makes perfect or Practice leads to perfection.
What a beautiful quote.

;-)

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Umm... Is it wrong? I've heard and read it many times from native speakers.

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Umm... Is it wrong? I've heard and read it many times from native speakers.
Practicing makes perfect
Practice makes you perfect
Excersising makes perfect
Practice makes perfection

All of them are ok. Understandable. It is not about being right or wrong but what I hear is "Practice makes perfect" This is the original saying. Sorry I confused you.:-?

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
_
Practicing makes perfect
Practice makes you perfect
Excersising makes perfect
Practice makes perfection
So, I think it's right. I searched it on the internet, 'practice makes perfect' is the quote, but I am sure that I heard that quote from a native, almost sure it was an American.

Could some teacher clarify this for us?

Many thanks

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil