Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
What exactly does "a casual life" mean? Is it possible to use it as "everyday life" or "lifestyle at home"?

twostep

I would rather use "casual lifestyle". Take it easy. No dressing for dinner, no bone china because it is Sunday, it is ok to wear white shoes after Labor Day.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
twostep said:
I would rather use "casual lifestyle". Take it easy. No dressing for dinner, no bone china because it is Sunday, it is ok to wear white shoes after Labor Day.

I would, too.

That's from a composition of a student of mine, and I don't know if I should say to her "That doesn't mean casual lifestyle" or "That's acceptable."

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The reason why American people invite friends to their homes is, needless to say, that they would like them to know their casual lives.

twostep

Taka said:
The reason why American people invite friends to their homes is, needless to say, that they would like them to know their casual lives.
That does not make a lot of sense to me. Why would you invite someone to your house to they get to know you are living a casual livestyle?

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I suppose when you are working in an office, for example, you are wearing some sort of "mask". And if you want to make friends with somebody, I think you would like him/her to know what you have behind the mask. So "casual lifestyle" is not impossible, although "everyday life" is much better, IMO.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
twostep said:
In that context yes. How about to get to know someone on a personal level.

It works!

Status
Not open for further replies.