Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Does it mean "Used for adding an opinion that seems to be the opposite of what you have just said, although you think both are true."?

And I think "That said" is ungrammatical, is something omitted in the phrase?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"That said" is not ungrammatical and we use it a lot. Nothing has been omitted. Why don't you try using it in a sentence?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Also asked here.

We recommend posting a question on one forum only initially. If you do not get a satisfactory answer from that forum and you feel that you have exhausted its possibilities, then of course trying a different forum might help. It is only courteous however, to tell the second forum that you have already asked the question on another forum and then give a precis of the answers you received there, or provide a link to it, along with an explanation of why you are now looking elsewhere.
(emsr2d2)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No — that's what it means.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some people in the UK use "That being said".

dio2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
How about "With that being said", "With that said", and "Having said that"? Are their meanings the same as "That said"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about "With that being said", "With that said", and "Having said that"? Are their meanings the same as "That said"?

"With that being said" and "Having said that" can both be used and, without further context, I can't see any meaningful difference between them and "That said". Of course, context might make a difference. I don't find "With that said" particularly natural but I can't say it's outright wrong.

Note: I see that you reported your own post with a suggestion that it be pushed up for people to see. Please don't do that. Be patient. Yesterday was Sunday so fewer people will have been looking at the forum anyway, and we're only halfway through Monday.