questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
1. " Seems to me you are asking can be fudge the law for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigrants?"

2. " You can fudge on many things except your education."

would you check two sentences above?

3. what is the difference between "fudge" and "cheat"?

Thanks in advance :)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jia Ping said:
1. " Seems to me you are asking can be fudge the law for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigrants?"

2. " You can fudge on many things except your education."

would you check two sentences above?

3. what is the difference between "fudge" and "cheat"?

Thanks in advance :)

"Fudge" can mean cheat. At other times, it refers to stretching a little bit over the line of what is proper -- a milder form of cheating.
 
P

pasiree

Guest
Thanks for your answer MikeNewYork


" Seems to me you are asking can be fudge the law for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigrants?"

Could you correct this sentence? :?:






MikeNewYork said:
Jia Ping said:
1. " Seems to me you are asking can be fudge the law for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigrants?"

2. " You can fudge on many things except your education."

would you check two sentences above?

3. what is the difference between "fudge" and "cheat"?

Thanks in advance :)

"Fudge" can mean cheat. At other times, it refers to stretching a little bit over the line of what is proper -- a milder form of cheating.
 

queenmaabd

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2004
Member Type
English Teacher
pasiree said:
Thanks for your answer MikeNewYork


" Seems to me you are asking can be fudge the law for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigrants?"

Could you correct this sentence? :?:






MikeNewYork said:
Jia Ping said:
1. " Seems to me you are asking can be fudge the law for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigrants?"

2. " You can fudge on many things except your education."

would you check two sentences above?

3. what is the difference between "fudge" and "cheat"?

Thanks in advance :)

"Fudge" can mean cheat. At other times, it refers to stretching a little bit over the line of what is proper -- a milder form of cheating.

Try:
Seems to me you are asking if the law can be fudged for "every" emotional case of illegal immigrants
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
pasiree said:
" Seems to me you are asking can be fudge the law for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigrants?"

"It seems to me that asking whether the law can be fudged for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigration?"

:lol:
 
P

pasiree

Guest
Sorry to bother you again.
I should say:

" I myself never support people in giving up their own lives "

or

" I myself never support people to give up their own lives "

Which one is correct?



tdol said:
pasiree said:
" Seems to me you are asking can be fudge the law for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigrants?"

"It seems to me that asking whether the law can be fudged for "every"
emotional case of illegal immigration?"

:lol:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd say you could use both, the first would be involvement at some stage, and the first would be involvement from the beginningof the action. However, I'm not sure what you mean by 'giving up lives'.;-)
 
P

pasiree

Guest
Thanks a lot tdol :)

I'm afraid that I have questions to ask you again :cry:

1. the following statement should have been:

" I now realize you cannot explain to me how is this relevant to our discussion."

or

" I now realize you cannot explain to me how this is relevant to our discussion."

Could you please suggest me?

2.
" I'm not sure what you mean by 'giving up lives' "

I mean "scrifice".
Is the meaning of “give up life" and "sacrifice life" alike?
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"I now realize you cannot explain to me how this is relevant to our discussion."
This is correct, because you are not asking that question, but talking about it.

'Sacrifice' a life means dying that others might live. 'Giving up' could imply losing the willto life as well. ;-)
 
P

pasiree

Guest
Hi tdol,

another one :(

" I'm unsure what are you getting at " or "I'm unsure what you are getting at "

I believe the second one is correct. am I right?

could you tell me what subjects of grammatical use can explain about this problem? I'm quite confused. :roll:


tdol said:
"I now realize you cannot explain to me how this is relevant to our discussion."
This is correct, because you are not asking that question, but talking about it.

'Sacrifice' a life means dying that others might live. 'Giving up' could imply losing the willto life as well. ;-)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The second is correct. Basically,if it doesn't end with a question mark, it shouldn't use question word order. There are also the cases like 'Could you tell me where the station is?'. Here it is a question, but the first part is the question, not the second.;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top