racial bs.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Member Type
Other
hello,

I've seen this usage "racial bs." or "gender bs.". I know it means bias, but why is it abbreviated? It's not a long word. Or is it a kind of euphemism? And is the dot necessary after bs ? Is it OK to use it in formal language?

Snowcake

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I suppose there is no special reason for these abbreviations. I think it's only used to shorten it, even if bias is a short word. Some people tend to use abbreviations for Regards (Rgds) or Thanks (Thx), although the abbreviations aren't shorter than the words in full.

Gender bias is a scientific term. (racial bias might be as well) If you need this term for scientific reports the word in full is preferable. Abbreviations should be avoided when there is an acceptable alternative.

As to the usage of periods after abbreviations this website might provide you with useful information. There are quite a lot of rules regarding abbreviations, British and American English follow different guidelines in some cases.

Hope this helps,
Snowcake

Last edited:

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you sure it isn't "racial b.s."?

The b.s. is short for bull sh*t.

Where did you hear/see this term?

light

Member Type
Other
I read it on cbsnews, comment section:
"Call it what you want ("racial bs", whatever)...I'm tired of ONLY ever seeing .."

Oops! susiedqq: thanks for the question bec. you have made me realize that I'm as blind as a bat, no dots in the original text:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.