Racing kennel

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi, teacher
paraphrase the following sentence please.....->She began to run dogs for a racing kennel...
I wonder especially the meaning of run, for and racing kennel..
Dictionary says that kenel means a small shelter for a dog..what is racing kennel?
and I wonder if "for" means "towards " or " suitable to the needs of something "...

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Hi, teacher
paraphrase the following sentence please.....->She began to run dogs for a racing kennel...
I wonder especially the meaning of run, for and racing kennel..
Dictionary says that kenel means a small shelter for a dog..what is racing kennel?
and I wonder if "for" means "towards " or " suitable to the needs of something "...
Greyhounds are trained for racing; a racing kennel is the dog equivalent of a racing stable for horses.
In your sentence there is insufficient information about 'she'; she could be working for the kennel owner and simply exercising the dogs, or she could be training dogs for a kennel she is setting up, or she could be the owner of some dogs which she would have placed in a kennel for future racing.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

I've more frequently heard the training establishments (each one) referred to as "a kennels". I did a Google search in the hope of confirming this, but realized that - although the plural is slightly more common, the hits might show true plurals (e.g. "There are more kennels in London than in Cardiff" - in the context of racing, this doesn't refer to the individual small shelters called a "kennel"):

Results 1 - 10 of about 9,050 English pages for "racing kennels".
Results 1 - 10 of about 7,560 English pages for "racing kennel".

But the first few "kennels" hits I checked did indeed refer to a single establishment. At any rate, the analogy of 'stable/stables' is good. A stable/kennel can be a building/shed, and the racing establishments can be referred to both in the singular and in the plural.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.