Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There is a magazine/periodical called "Reader's Digest". I don't understand the title of the magazine/periodical. I look up the word "digest" in a dictionary but it seems to me that the explanations given cannot match with "Reader's".

Can someone kindly explain? Thanks!!

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
There is a magazine/periodical called "Reader's Digest". I don't understand the title of the magazine/periodical. I look up the word "digest" in a dictionary but it seems to me that the explanations given cannot match with "Reader's".

Can someone kindly explain? Thanks!!

==============

M-W:

digest
b: a periodical devoted to condensed versions of previously published articles 2: a product of digestion

+++++++++++++++++++++++

It's described by b: or in the case of the Reader's Digest, by #2. :)

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
There had been a previous magazine called Literary Digest, it's first issue being in 1890. So when Reader's Digest began publishing a very similar kind of magazine in 1922, the use of 'literary' or some such form of the word in the title was not possible, even though the two magazines were very similar in their literary type content. They aimed the title at their market - the magazine readers of America...and so, Reader's Digest.
Reader's Digest literally means, a periodical consisting of condensed versions of pieces of writing or news published elsewhere, brought together
for those who enjoy reading - a digest of good writing and interesting news for avid readers. One feature of the magazine in years gone by was the last section, which would be a condensed version of a famous novel.

Last edited:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up:
There had been a previous magazine called Literary Digest, it's first issue being in 1890.
Perhaps:
There had been a magazine called Literary Digest, its first issue being published in 1890.
:)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way, a pun I often quote (to the annoyance of friends and acquaintances) uses "digest" in the verbal sense:

"Well, you know what they say: Writers cramp, readers digest." :splat:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way, a pun I often quote (to the annoyance of friends and acquaintances) uses "digest" in the verbal sense:

"Well, you know what they say: Writers cramp, readers digest." :splat:
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ckcgordon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thank you, Riverkid, David L., RonBee, Ouisch.
Thanks for your explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.