redoubtable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny Lau

Member Type
Student or Learner
How to understand "redoubtable" here? What does "some redoubtable said antique" mean?
Here is the sentence:
The Different Junque Shoppe catered to odd tastes of off-the-wall preferences, erotic art, bizarre art and some redoubtable said "antiques".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jenny Lau said:
How to understand "redoubtable" here? What does "some redoubtable said antique" mean?
Here is the sentence:
The Different Junque Shoppe catered to odd tastes of off-the-wall preferences, erotic art, bizarre art and some redoubtable said "antiques".

Redoubtable can mean "awe/fear inspiring" or "worthy of honor or respect". In this case, I assume it means respectable/honored. The "said" doesn't fit there, however. :wink:

Jenny Lau

Member Type
Student or Learner
Respectable "antiques"? Does respectable here mean "of moderately good quality" ?
I have thought the word "respectable/honored" usually describe a person. And why antiques use quotation marks?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Respectable in comparison to erotic art?;-)

S

Susie Smith

tdol said:

redoubtable = formidable
for·mi·da·ble (fôr“m¹-d…-b…l) adj. 1. Arousing fear, dread, or alarm: the formidable prospect of major surgery.

The first time I read the post, I looked up "redoubtable" and then interpreted the phrase this way: formidable examples of so-called antiques. In other words, dreadful fakes. Does this make sense?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Susie Smith said:
tdol said:

redoubtable = formidable
for·mi·da·ble (fôr“m¹-d…-b…l) adj. 1. Arousing fear, dread, or alarm: the formidable prospect of major surgery.

The first time I read the post, I looked up "redoubtable" and then interpreted the phrase this way: formidable examples of so-called antiques. In other words, dreadful fakes. Does this make sense?

I don't think the formidable use makes sense, but I think you have figured out the puzzle. Perhaps the word "said" is supposed to be "so-called" or "alleged". Then the quotation marks around "antiques" mean that theantiques are fakes. :wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jenny Lau said:
Respectable "antiques"? Does respectable here mean "of moderately good quality" ?
I have thought the word "respectable/honored" usually describe a person. And why antiques use quotation marks?

I'm not sure that "redoubtable" is the best choice there. I think the sense of the sentence is that these "antiques" are not really antiques at all.

S

Susie Smith

MikeNewYork said:
Jenny Lau said:

I'm not sure that "redoubtable" is the best choice there. I think the sense of the sentence is that these "antiques" are not really antiques at all.

For many years I worked as a translator and believe me, people don't always say what they mean, as you also know, of course. :D I think the person who wrote the article meant doubtful, and he or she also misused "said", for the intended meaning must be so-called. It reminded me of something Tdol wrote, I think, in his archives. It was all about somebody who had used the word "meretricious" as deserved or deserving, I don't remember which now. :) I'm pretty sure we've cracked it.

:D :D :D :D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
People often use big words without looking them up first. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Susie Smith said:
MikeNewYork said:
Jenny Lau said:

For many years I worked as a translator and believe me, people don't always say what they mean, as you also know, of course. :D I think the person who wrote the article meant doubtful, and he or she also misused "said", for the intended meaning must be so-called. It reminded me of something Tdol wrote, I think, in his archives. It was all about somebody who had used the word "meretricious" as deserved or deserving, I don't remember which now. :) I'm pretty sure we've cracked it.

:D :D :D :D

I completely agree. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.