Reflexive Pronouns

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A reflexive pronoun refers to a noun or another pronoun. Examples:
  • I did it myself.
    He convinced himself that he was right.
    She talks to herself.
    They did it to themselves.
    We put it together ourselves.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are very few reflexive verbs in English:

Pride oneself
Steel oneself
Avail oneself

These are the ones that come to mind this morning. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Behave yourself.

:wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That suits me. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can you think of any truly reflexive verbs? LOL! :lol:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
  • A: I am hungry. I haven't eaten.
    B: I am hungry myself. I haven't eaten either.

(I have never before heard
Of a reflexive verb.)

:)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can only pride yourself, can't you?;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have never heard of pride yourself before, but I know that one can take pride in oneself.

:)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We use it over here. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
We use it over here. ;-)

We use it here, too.

John prided himself in being able to move difficult issues toward resolution.

:wink:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
tdol said:
We use it over here. ;-)

We use it here, too.

John prided himself in being able to move difficult issues toward resolution.

:wink:

I can see that. But what about "pride yourself"? I can see using "take pride in yourself", but it is hard for me to envision using "pride yourself" in a sentence.

:)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
tdol said:
We use it over here. ;-)

We use it here, too.

John prided himself in being able to move difficult issues toward resolution.

:wink:

I can see that. But what about "pride yourself"? I can see using "take pride in yourself", but it is hard for me to envision using "pride yourself" in a sentence.

:)

I pride myself on my meticulous attention to detail (not!). :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Consider yourself at home. :)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Good example, Mike. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
tdol said:
We use it over here. ;-)

We use it here, too.

John prided himself in being able to move difficult issues toward resolution.

:wink:

I can see that. But what about "pride yourself"? I can see using "take pride in yourself", but it is hard for me to envision using "pride yourself" in a sentence.

:)

I pride myself on my meticulous attention to detail (not!). :wink:

That is a good example of the use of "pride myself", but apparently I am not the only one who has trouble thinking up a sentence with "pride yourself" in it. (Perhaps that is a BE usage.) :)

(Sorry if I am being a pain in the neck.)

:oops:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
tdol said:
We use it over here. ;-)

We use it here, too.

John prided himself in being able to move difficult issues toward resolution.

:wink:

I can see that. But what about "pride yourself"? I can see using "take pride in yourself", but it is hard for me to envision using "pride yourself" in a sentence.

:)

I pride myself on my meticulous attention to detail (not!). :wink:

That is a good example of the use of "pride myself", but apparently I am not the only one who has trouble thinking up a sentence with "pride yourself" in it. (Perhaps that is a BE usage.) :)

(Sorry if I am being a pain in the neck.)

:oops:

You're not being a pain anywhere. I don't hear the construction much, but it is in use in AE. :wink:
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've got it! :D

How about:
  • Do you pride yourself on your teaching abilities, Tdol?
  • Do you pride yourself on your grammar talents, Mike?

:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top