Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Sentence : "The TRPs of reality shows are very poor. None of them are/is in top 10 serials. And Star, the maker of kid's reality shows, is on 4th number in TRP list."

My question: Which verb would be correct to use after the word "none of them", are or is ? It's giving me lots of confusion, so please help me clarify this doubt.

Regards and thanks
emotion-1.gif

Reemy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
The rule according to Oxford Dictionary is:

When you use none of with an uncountable noun, the verb is in the singular: (None of the work was done.)

When you use none of with a plural noun or pronoun, or a singular noun referring to a group of people or things, you can use either a singular or a plural verb. The singular form is used in a formal style in BrE: (None of the trains is/are going to London). ( None of her family has/have been to college.)

I hope this will allay your doubt! :)

Last edited:

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
The rule according to Oxford Dictionary is:

When you use none of with an uncountable noun, the verb is in the singular: (None of the work was done.)

When you use none of with a plural noun or pronoun, or a singular noun referring to a group of people or things, you can use either a singular or a plural verb. The singular form is used in a formal style in BrE: (None of the trains is/are going to London). ( None of her family has/have been to college.)

I hope this will allay your doubt! :)

Thanks, now my doubt is cleared :)

Status
Not open for further replies.