release tension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darren

hi to all teachers out there:
I'd like to know if it is a proper way to say ' release tension'? Other similar expression? your opinion is greatly appreciated.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You want toknow if there is a proper way to say "release tension"? That says to me that you don't think it is proper to say "release tension". It is, however, proper to do so.

:)

D

darren

RonBee said:
You want toknow if there is a proper way to say "release tension"? That says to me that you don't think it is proper to say "release tension". It is, however, proper to do so. quote

thanz for ur opinion. Actually I was told that it is not proper english to say it. erm, can u please tell me other expressions which have the same meaning? thanz.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could use 'ease' instead of 'release'. ;-)

D

darren

tdol said:
You could use 'ease' instead of 'release'. ;-)

i see. thanks for all of you. Now i found English more lively and interesting.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can 'reduce' tension too. ;-)

D

darren

tdol said:

thanks all of you. I have another question.
I've been accumulating tension these days. Let's go to gym to release tension. ----correct?
I've been piling up tension these days. Let's go to gym to unleash tension.-----correct?
waiting for answers.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
darren said:
tdol said:

I've been accumulating tension these days. Let's go to gym to release tension. ----correct?
I've been piling up tension these days. Let's go to gym to unleash tension.-----correct?
waiting for answers.

1. I'm tense. I'm going to the gym to release some tension.
2. I've built up a lot of tension this week.

'unleash tension' is odd. It means, set tension free so that it can pursue something or attack someone/something (e.g. unleash the dog).

All the best,

D

darren

Casiopea said:
darren said:
tdol said:

waiting for answers.

'unleash tension' is odd. It means, set tension free so that it can pursue something or attack someone/something (e.g. unleash the dog).

All the best,

thanks again. erm..... can i say '' I'm tensed up ''? too ?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We use 'stressed out' in British English.;-)

S

Susie Smith

tdol said:
We use 'stressed out' in British English.;-)

When you are "stressed out" or " all wound up", you can go to the gym to "unwind", "wind down", "unbend", or simply "relax".

:D :wink:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
darren said:
Casiopea said:
darren said:
tdol said:

waiting for answers.

All the best,

thanks again. erm..... can i say '' I'm tensed up ''? too ?

Try,

I feel tense.
I'm feeling a little tense right now.
You're making me (feel) tense.
I'm tense.
I've got/built up a lot of tension in my neck/back/shoulders.

All the best,

D

darren

thanks a million to tdol, Casiopea, Susie and Ron. You all are a great help to me. Here, another question: I got worked on these few days. Does it imply that the speaker has been buiding up tension and feel annoyed?
waiting for reply.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
darren said:
thanks a million to tdol, Casiopea, Susie and Ron. You all are a great help to me. Here, another question: I got worked on these few days. Does it imply that the speaker has been buiding up tension and feel annoyed?
waiting for reply.

Try,

I got (all) worked up (i.e. stressed out).

I got worked on means, a) someone gave you a massage :D , or b) someone gave you a beating, notably the Mafia. :shock:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We use 'work over' for beat somebody up. ;-)

D

darren

i have another question here. Do we say ' we guys are not going for the party or Our guys are not going for the party? which is the correct one?

S

Susie Smith

darren said:
i have another question here. Do we say ' we guys are not going for the party or Our guys are not going for the party? which is the correct one?

We guys are not going to the party.

D

darren

Susie Smith said:
darren said:

thankz susie. erm, can you please tell me when can we use 'our guys'....?

S

Susie Smith

darren said:
Susie Smith said:
darren said:

thankz susie. erm, can you please tell me when can we use 'our guys'....?

Our is a possessive adjective, so it means the guys belong to you in some way or are members of your group, etc. :wink:

Coach: Our guys (team members) are definitely not going to the party. We have an important game tomorrow.

D

darren

another question here.
is it proper English to say ' by right'? i heard some people saying 'long time no see'. I was told that it is broken English, but i'd like to hear from you all. Any opinions are welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.