Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can you please check my sentence correct or not?

I tried to replace the new machine instead of ole one.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you please [STRIKE]check[/STRIKE] tell me if my sentence is correct or not?

I tried to replace the new machine instead of the [STRIKE]ole[/STRIKE] old one.

See above.

With the definite article and the correct spelling of "old", your sentence would be possible.

Imagine, for example, that a photocopier engineer is sent out to an office with instructions to "replace the old Canon photocopier" with a new one, which is in the back of his van. When he gets there, he finds two Canon photocopiers in the same room. He starts to remove one of them, ready to replace it with the new one he has brought with him, when he realises that the one he has removed is practically new and there is nothing wrong with it. He has to put it back and remove the other one (the one that is actually older and not working properly), replacing it with the new one he has brought with him.
When he gets back to headquarters, his boss says "How did the Canon job go?" He replies "It went OK in the end but when I got there, I tried to replace the new machine instead of the old one!" His boss looks unimpressed and tells him to be more careful in future.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Teacher emsr2d2, you are right. But I am thinking that Polyester, an English learner like me, is just confused the use of 'replace'. Your answer is awesome; however, maybe it is more suitable for advanced learners, such as tedmc and Matthew Wai.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I disagree. When I read your reply, my first thought was "Oh, kadioguy has misunderstood the question". I didn't think that Polyester was incorrectly using "replaced ... instead of ..." rather than "replaced ... with ...".

However, only Polyester can tell us what he/she was trying to say and whether or not he/she found my response helpful. More advanced learners read posts on this forum so even if it's too complicated for you and Polyester, others will benefit.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Polyester, until I get a response to post #3 here, I'm going to delete any further threads you post.