Repost:Computer Slang Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hello, maybe you can settle an argument. The internet leaves people trying to spell words a little different, or creating new ones all together. For example, rocks, becomes rox, becomes roxor (said rocks-or)
This leads to my question. ‘Boox’ is the ‘word’ in question. I think it should be said books like in rox, and roxor. (I know roxor isn’t a real word but still..) My friend says it should be said “Boo” and word readers pounce it so. They also have a problem pronouncing things with X in general.
So, how is ‘Boox’ pronounced? If it’s wrong what would you suggest for a silly spelling of the word ‘books’ with some x’s in there.
Thanks for your time with this silly question.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a guess:

Boo = buh
x = ecks

buh-ecks = books

that's the best I can make of it . . .

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Years ago (before the Internet) advertises came up with selling 'socks' as 'sox' - same pronunciation
Boox would be the same.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Attention: I'm not a teacher.

Hi…

There is a verisimilar explanation:

Boox (Blocks Out Of Xoops) is a module who's finality is to help you to manage content that Xoops can't access but wich is part of your site.
XOOPS is a free content management system, written in PHP, for websites.

Regards.

V.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sounds good to me. Maybe it's bit of both - that is, the term was first coined as the name of a specific programming function, and then adopted more widely on the analogy of "sox" etc. I believe this has happened before, especially in the field of computer jargon; management types hear software developers using an apparently misspelt word and start using it themselves so as to look cool. No time to think of an ecample - it wouldn't be the first time though.

b

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS
I've thought of an example - not from the computer world though. The word is "feedback", which (in the 1920 meaning - Online Etymology Dictionary) refers specifically to the noise a microphone makes when it's placed in front of the loudspeaker that it (the microphone) is connected to. A quiet noise feeds back into the system and becomes a shrill whine/shriek. The more general use of "feedback" in the more common sense of conversational reciprocation (e.g. a speaker at a presentation might say 'I'd be glad to answer questions, but could you keep your feedback for the Q&A session at the end of my talk?') is more recent - I don't have a reference for this, but I don't remember hearing it used much before the '80s.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.