Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The scientist was rewarded (should be awarded?) by the government for ______ such a great contribution to the country.

A. making B. having made

The given answer is B. I think A is fine too, since we say 'Thank you for helping me' (the action of help has been completed). Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The scientist was rewarded (should be awarded?) by the government for ______ such a great contribution to the country.

A. making B. having made

The given answer is B. I think A is fine too, since we say 'Thank you for helping me' (the action of help has been completed). Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

Your first point - no, rewarded is correct. If the word was "awarded" it would be followed by a noun. You are awarded a medal, a certificate, a Nobel prize etc. You cannot follow "awarded" in this context with "by the government".

As far as A or B is concerned - I believe that the answer is B because the scientist has finished the work which made such a great contribution and is therefore in the past tense. If he was rewarded for "making", that may suggest that he is still doing so. Someone is usually rewarded after a job/task is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.