right definition needed urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andreafinzi

Guest
the right definition for a person selling hot dogs in the street from a movable trolley on wheels is:

1)vendor

2)peddler
 
N

Natalie27

Guest
andreafinzi said:
the right definition for a person selling hot dogs in the street from a movable trolley on wheels is:

1)vendor

2)peddler

These are vendors.
People that travels around selling their stuff on street corners, festivals or flea markets are known as peddlers. :D
 
N

Natalie27

Guest
Natalie27 said:
andreafinzi said:
the right definition for a person selling hot dogs in the street from a movable trolley on wheels is:

1)vendor

2)peddler

These are vendors.
People that travels around selling their stuff on street corners, festivals or flea markets are known as peddlers. :D

One more thing, pedlerrs usually sell a bunch of junk...dollar store type of stuff. :lol:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
N

Nahualli

Guest
Natalie27 said:
Natalie27 said:
andreafinzi said:
the right definition for a person selling hot dogs in the street from a movable trolley on wheels is:

1)vendor

2)peddler

These are vendors.
People that travels around selling their stuff on street corners, festivals or flea markets are known as peddlers. :D

One more thing, pedlerrs usually sell a bunch of junk...dollar store type of stuff. :lol:

Well, technically peddler has the following etymological roots.

[Middle English pedlere, probably alteration of peddere, from Medieval Latin pedrius, crosier bearer, from Latin ps, ped-, foot. See pedi-.]

A vendor is anyone who sells stuff. (Vend). It can be in a store, in a cart, anything. They can be a one time thing or they can be regulars. The slight connotational difference is that a peddler is a transient. Not necessarily always walking or on foot but they are not fixtures anywhere. They move about.

The connotation is that a peddler "peddles" or walks, his goods about. "Vendor" has no such connotation, it just denotes someone who is selling something(s)

-Nah-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top