roll up

Status
Not open for further replies.

whl626

Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The roll up the sidewalks when the sun goes down ?

What does the sentence mean ? Thanks in advance
 

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
whl626 said:
The roll up the sidewalks when the sun goes down ?

Should that be stroll?
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
whl626 said:
The roll up the sidewalks when the sun goes down ?

What does the sentence mean ? Thanks in advance

It means that there are so few people around at night that the sidewalks aren't used or needed. This expression is used to refer to small towns or to major cities that have no central nightlife areas.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re:
  • They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.
I believe I have heard that one. It is, I think, in the nature of a joke. As MNY noted, it refers to areas that are "dead" after sunset. They don't need the sidewalks, so they roll them up. Of course, nobody literally does that.

:)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
Re:
  • They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.
I believe I have heard that one. It is, I think, in the nature of a joke. As MNY noted, it refers to areas that are "dead" after sunset. They don't need the sidewalks, so they roll them up. Of course, nobody literally does that.

:)

Yes, indeed. The first time I stayed in downtown Dallas, I was amazed by what happened at 5 P.M. Everybody fled to the suburbs. I used the expression then to describe the results. +|;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Re:
  • They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.
I believe I have heard that one. It is, I think, in the nature of a joke. As MNY noted, it refers to areas that are "dead" after sunset. They don't need the sidewalks, so they roll them up. Of course, nobody literally does that.

:)

Yes, indeed. The first time I stayed in downtown Dallas, I was amazed by what happened at 5 P.M. Everybody fled to the suburbs. I used the expression then to describe the results. +|;-)

So it was kind of lonesome in downtown Dallas after 5PM?

:wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
RonBee said:
Re:
  • They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.
I believe I have heard that one. It is, I think, in the nature of a joke. As MNY noted, it refers to areas that are "dead" after sunset. They don't need the sidewalks, so they roll them up. Of course, nobody literally does that.

:)

Yes, indeed. The first time I stayed in downtown Dallas, I was amazed by what happened at 5 P.M. Everybody fled to the suburbs. I used the expression then to describe the results. +|;-)

So it was kind of lonesome in downtown Dallas after 5PM?

I would not call it "Party Central". :wink:
 

whl626

Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Exactly fit into the story I am reading. Yeah, they are in a small town. Someone in the group seems to know the town well and used this phrase.

They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.

Thanks :)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
whl626 said:
Exactly fit into the story I am reading. Yeah, they are in a small town. Someone in the group seems to know the town well and used this phrase.

They roll up the sidewalks after the sun goes down.

Thanks :)

You're very welcome. :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top