[Vocabulary] Romans, Arabs, Spanish, ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The Romans, Arabs, Spanish, French and British all tried to claim Malta in history because of its strategic position.

--------My question is whether the part 'Spanish, French and British' are properly used, because I have learned words like Spaniards and Britons and think they should replace Spanish and British. Am I right?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Romans, Arabs, Spanish, French and British all tried to claim Malta in history because of its strategic position.

--------My question is whether the part 'Spanish, French and British' are properly used, because I have learned words like Spaniards and Britons and think they should replace Spanish and British. Am I right?

Thank you.

I would say that "Spanish, French and British" are all fine because they are actual nationalities, whereas "Roman" and "Arab" are adjectives, not nationalities.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would say that "Spanish, French and British" are all fine because they are actual nationalities, whereas "Roman" and "Arab" are adjectives, not nationalities.
On the other hand, historically, the Romans and the Arabs may have been as much a "nation" as any, though not in modern form.
Rome was a republic, then an empire. I'm less familiar with Arab history.
I think it sounds OK.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'Spaniard' and 'Briton' are individuals; So here 'The Spanish, the British...' are right.

'The Spanish sent the Armada to invade Britain.'
but
'When Sir Francis Drake was told that the Spaniards were coming, he...' [is said by some, in a story that doesn't entirely convince me, to have] '...finished his game of bowls.'

You could also use 'Spanish' in the second sentence, but as '-ard' endings tend to be pejorative (like 'coward', 'bastard' and other less current words like 'dullard' and 'Lollard') I think the '-ard' version captures the spirit of the (Elizabethan) times better.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.