rose as one to salute the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_gary

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Thirty-nine and counting. Sachin Tendulkar has been the subject of many debates, about whether he should retire or not, if he was losing his touch, or if he should also be clubbed with those who have outlived their utility.

All of those debates were dumped in the trash as Adelaide rose as one to salute the best in the business.

Please explain the emboldened parts to me.

heidita

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Thirty-nine and counting. Sachin Tendulkar has been the subject of many debates, about whether he should retire or not, if he was losing his touch, or if he should also be clubbed with those who have outlived their utility.

All of those debates were dumped in the trash as Adelaide rose as one to salute the best in the business.

She got up and applauded the best man in the game: Sachin Tend...

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other

"rose as one" when the text mentions only one person does not make sense. The phrase is usually used when there is a crowd who all do the same thing at the same time.

heidita

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
"rose as one" when the text mentions only one person does not make sense. The phrase is usually used when there is a crowd who all do the same thing at the same time.

This is exactly what I thought, but as the sentence given is phrased like that one can suppose it means she got up ...

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(all of the residents of the town of Adelaide) rose as one (got up at the same) to (pay honor to) salute the best in the business (Tendulker)

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
(all of the residents of the town of Adelaide) rose as one (got up at the same) to (pay honor to) salute the best in the business (Tendulker)

Thank you for explaining the reason - unfortunately Gary's original post did not make it at all clear that the city of Adelaide was being cited and not a person.

Status
Not open for further replies.