safety line, security line or yellow line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

In Westen countries when there are many people, say at a bank, people have to stand in a queue. And there is a yellow line between the first person in the queue and the counter. In Chinese it is translated literally as safety line. And there are two words bearing the meaning 'safety'. One is safety. The other is security. Could you please tell me which word should be used for that line? Or since the line in in yellow, is it called 'yellow line'?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

L

Lynne Hand

Dear Jiang

I would call it a security line.

To me a safety line is something you attach to yourself to remain secure in a dangerous situation (such as climbing).

And in the UK a yellow line is a line painted on the road to stop or restrict people parking.

I hope this helps.

Learn English Online

jiang said:
Dear teachers,

In Westen countries when there are many people, say at a bank, people have to stand in a queue. And there is a yellow line between the first person in the queue and the counter. In Chinese it is translated literally as safety line. And there are two words bearing the meaning 'safety'. One is safety. The other is security. Could you please tell me which word should be used for that line? Or since the line in in yellow, is it called 'yellow line'?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Lynne Hand said:
Dear Jiang

To me a safety line is something you attach to yourself to remain secure in a dangerous situation (such as climbing).

And in the UK a yellow line is a line painted on the road to stop or restrict people parking.

I hope this helps.

Learn English Online

jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Welcome. :hi:

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:D
Thanks! Now I see.

Jiang
Lynne Hand said:
Dear Jiang

I hope this helps.

Learn English Online

jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks!

Jiang

Casiopea said:
Lynne Hand said:
Dear Jiang

I hope this helps.

Learn English Online

jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Welcome. :hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.