Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Could you say in other words the underlined:

"And years from now, he says, we may head to a real-time brain-imaging center the way we go to the fitness center today, and buff up parts of our brain that improve performance, memory and even intelligence. Now, that would be a real no-brainer." :roll:

Stilo

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you say in other words the underlined:

"And years from now, he says, we may head to a real-time brain-imaging center the way we go to the fitness center today, and buff up parts of our brain that improve performance, memory and even intelligence. Now, that would be a real no-brainer." :roll:

Hi Snade17

buff up = retrain, or perhaps sharpen

no-brainer = winner.

Stilo

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
What do you mean to say by:
'real-time' ( I know what it means, but what do you intend it to mean with regard to CAT scans/electromagnetic imaging?)

no-brainer: I can't grasp how this follows logically. Do you mean, that if a machine is going to do these things for the person, then the person doesn't have to use their own brain to achieve it??

snade17

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi David,
I don't mean to say anything. I was wandering what it means. I just read it in a Reader's Digest /American, March 2007/. These are the closing lines of an article titled ""Brain Powered".

Stilo

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you mean to say by:
'real-time' ( I know what it means, but what do you intend it to mean with regard to CAT scans/electromagnetic imaging?)

no-brainer: I can't grasp how this follows logically. Do you mean, that if a machine is going to do these things for the person, then the person doesn't have to use their own brain to achieve it??
No brainer is a saying that is creeping into English, maybe from the US. It means that 'you are onto a winner/can't lose' Possibly you don't have to use your brain to sucess in the task.
I have heard it used in house restoration, when looking at the house pre restoration and 'doing the sums'(adding up the costs involved in the purchase and restoration), means that it is a no brainer situation, ie you dont have to be an Einstein to figure out that you cannot lose, moneywise.

Means you are on a sure fire situation/a winner
Hope this helps

Stilo

Status
Not open for further replies.