Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
I am a bit :? with these phrases.

Who says I have to retire at 60?

A:Says who?
B:Says me, that's who.

My question:
(1)Do both phrases share similiar meanings that indicate suspicion to a certain statement or opinion?

(2)Who says + Subject + verb, can "Who says" stand along?
"Says who" is an independent senetnce, can stand along.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrases share similar meanings, but "Says who?" stands alone, but "Who says" does not. In either case it is a kind of challenge. "Says who?" could be restated as "Who dares to say that?"

• A: You have to retire at 60.
    B: Says who?

B: Who says I have to?

:)

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
RonBee said:
The phrases share similar meanings, but "Says who?" stands alone, but "Who says" does not. In either case it is a kind of challenge. "Says who?" could be restated as "Who dares to say that?"

Ron, you are just wonderful! :cheers:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
I am a bit :? with these phrases.

Who says I have to retire at 60?

A:Says who?
B:Says me, that's who.

My question:
(1)Do both phrases share similiar meanings that indicate suspicion to a certain statement or opinion?

(2)Who says + Subject + verb, can "Who says" stand along?
"Says who" is an independent senetnce, can stand along.

I wouldn't say "suspicion". The phrase is argumentative. It questions the validity, propriety, or accuracy of a statement.

Who says or says who can stand alone. Both have a subject and a verb.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
MikeNewYork said:

A: Says who?
B: MNY.
A: But the poet said "who says" cannot stand alone.
B: Who says!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:

Well, "says who" is more natural as a question because it is inverted. The other version with a question mark is also acceptable, IMO. Neither of them can be called formal language.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:

Well, "says who" is more natural as a question because it is inverted. The other version with a question mark is also acceptable, IMO. Neither of them can be called formal language.

Yes, Sir. <salute>

:smilecol:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:

Yes, Sir. <salute>

:smilecol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
RonBee said:

Ron, you are just wonderful! :cheers:

:oops: Thanks. :oops:

:cheers:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mike might be technically right, but I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" althought I suppose it is possible.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
RonBee said:
Mike might be technically right, but I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" althought I suppose it is possible.

Ron,

Why do you put "but" and "although" together within a sentence?
It is supposed to be either

Mike might be technically right, I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" although I suppose it is possible.

or

Mike might be technically right, I suppose it is possible,
but I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?"

:?:
:roll:
:wink:
:shock:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
RonBee said:

Ron,

Mike might be technically right, I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" although I suppose it is possible.

or

Re:
  • Mike might be technically right, but I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" although I suppose it is possible.

I can't say that I have heard of that rule you mention, but "but" and "although" appear in separate clauses. (I corrected the spelling of although.) Technically, there should be a comma after "although", but because of the other punctuation I omitted it. As I mentioned, while they are both in the same sentence, "but" and "although" are in separate clauses, "but" starting one clause and "although" starting the other one. It is really not unusual at all. Do a Google search for "but+although" and you should find quite a few sentences like that. Go to: www.google.com. Or just go here:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=but+although.

Actually, "but although" is quite common.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
RonBee said:
blacknomi said:
RonBee said:

Ron,

or

Re:
  • Mike might be technically right, but I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" although I suppose it is possible.

I can't say that I have heard of that rule you mention, but "but" and "although" appear in separate clauses. (I corrected the spelling of although.) Technically, there should be a comma after "although", but because of the other punctuation I omitted it. As I mentioned, while they are both in the same sentence, "but" and "although" are in separate clauses, "but" starting one clause and "although" starting the other one. It is really not unusual at all. Do a Google search for "but+although" and you should find quite a few sentences like that. Go to: www.google.com. Or just go here:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=but+although.

According to
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/conjunctions.htm
To suggest a contrast that is unexpected in light of the first clause: "Joey lost a fortune in the stock market, but he still seems able to live quite comfortably."
==> It's wrong to put "but" and "although" together, or I can rewrite as "Although Joey lost a fortune in the stock market, he still seems able to live quite comfortably."

I think I understand what you mean.
==>
Mike might be technically right, but I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" Although (I have never heard of anybody saying it), I suppose it is possible.

The red part of sentence is omitted. Is that right? :lol:

OK. Suppose I omit the sentence beginning with "Mike might be......".
==>
I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" , but I suppose it is possible.

or

Although I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?", I suppose it is possible.

Is that right?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
RonBee said:
blacknomi said:
RonBee said:

Ron,

or

Re:

According to
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/conjunctions.htm
To suggest a contrast that is unexpected in light of the first clause: "Joey lost a fortune in the stock market, but he still seems able to live quite comfortably."
==> It's wrong to put "but" and "although" together, or I can rewrite as "Although Joey lost a fortune in the stock market, he still seems able to live quite comfortably."

I think I understand what you mean.
==>
Mike might be technically right, but I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" Although (I have never heard of anybody saying it), I suppose it is possible.

The red part of sentence is omitted. Is that right? :lol:

That is a perfectly legitimate way of looking at it, but no, I didn't omit anything. Instead, I used although as a "bridge" to I suppose it is possible.

OK. Suppose I omit the sentence beginning with "Mike might be......".
==>
I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?" , but I suppose it is possible.

or

Although I have never heard of anybody saying "Who says?", I suppose it is possible.

Is that right?[/quote]

Those are perfectly good.

:D

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
I understood the meaning of your previous reply, I was just being picky about the grammatical structure. Sometimes I find myself confined in a grammar cage. :cry:

Kiss goodbye to grammar. :drinking:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
I understood the meaning of your previous reply, I was just being picky about the grammatical structure. Sometimes I find myself confined in a grammar cage. :cry:

Not so fast! The original sentence has three independent clauses, not just two. Therefore, the two conjunctions connect clause one to clause two and then clause two to clause three. That is the grammatical explanation for the use. :wink:

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:

Not so fast! The original sentence has three independent clauses, not just two. Therefore, the two conjunctions connect clause one to clause two and then clause two to clause three. That is the grammatical explanation for the use. :wink:

Good points, there.

The "bridge" is just amazing. It conncects 3 independent clauses tightly.

Thanks, dear Mike and Ron! :smilecol:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:

Good points, there.

The "bridge" is just amazing. It conncects 3 independent clauses tightly.

Thanks, dear Mike and Ron! :smilecol:

You're very welcome. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.