[Grammar] ..sea salt sprays that have never been used/..sea salt sprays never having been used

dio2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The original sentence,

"Our bathrooms are filled with gels, waxes, hairsprays and sea salt sprays that have never been used more than once."

And the reduced version,

"Our bathrooms are filled with gels, waxes, hairsprays and sea salt sprays never having been used more than once."

The original sentence was from an article about struggles of having straight hair, to anyone who has questions about it.

I don't know if the reduced version sounds a little bit weird or what. It is me who made the reduced version. And according to the grammar rules, the reduced version seems to be grammatical. But I also want to know how you feel when reading it out.

I asked a friend from the Internet, he told me when reading the reduced version, he felt something lacked in the sentence. I don't know if you feel the same way that he felt. Or you have different opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I prefer the original.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The revised version is awkward at best. Try:

Our bathroom is filled with gels, waxes, hairsprays, and sea salt sprays that have been used only once.