sentecne structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmo

In paper today:

More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes, the largest evacuation in state history.

How is "the largest .." connected to "More than 2.5 million.. " clause?

Thanks.

Ulli

bmo said:
In paper today:

More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes, the largest evacuation in state history.

How is "the largest .." connected to "More than 2.5 million.. " clause?

Thanks.

Hi bmo,

My version would be:

More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes , it had been the largest evacuation in state history.

Ulli :wink:

bmo

Ulli said:
Hi bmo,

My version would be:

More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes , it had been the largest evacuation in state history.

Thanks, Ulli, how about, "making it the largest evacuation in state history?' Agree? But is the original sentence incorrect? I think it is correct. How about, "More than 500,000 people poured into Time Square to celebrate the New Year, the largest crowd anybody can remember?" Same thing.

Ulli

bmo said:
Ulli said:
Hi bmo,

My version would be:

Thanks, Ulli, how about, "making it the largest evaculation in state history?' Agree? But is the original sentence incorrect? I think it is correct. How about, "More than 500,000 people poured into Time Square to celebrate the New Year, the largest crowd anybody can remember?" Same thing.

Hi bmo :wink: ,
All of the sentences are correct, the fact is there are more versions how to express them.

Ulli

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello, bmo,

This is how I see it.

More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes, which is the largest evacuation in state history.

1. "which is" is omitted.
2. "the largest evacuation in state history." acts as Noun Phrase as appositive.

:)

bmo

Thanks. Still like to know if all of these are correct:

1. More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes, the largest evacuation in state history.

2. More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes, which is the largest evacuation in state history.

3. More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes, making it the largest evacuation in state history.

4. More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes: the largest evacuation in state history.

5. More than 2.5 million people from south Florida to Daytona Beach were told to flee their homes -- the largest evacuation in state history.

If these are all equivalent, which one is the best? (The first one is from San Jose Mercury News.)

BMO

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're all OK< the debate would be about the punctuation in 1, 4 & 5. I'd go for the colon. ;-)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're welcome. ;-)