[General] sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leela kalyan

sir,
I'm unable to catch the meaning of this sentence.

"The reators which cost about 1.5 billion$ each,will certainly be welcome for a russian economy that is simply not doing too well."
thanks....

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
sir,
I'm unable to catch the meaning of this sentence.

"The reators which cost about $1.5 billion each, will certainly be welcome for a Russian economy that is simply not doing too well."
thanks....
The reactors, which cost about $1.5 billion (1.5 billion dollars) each,...
This is the subject of the sentence - the reactors. Each reactor costs $1.5b.
"will certainly be welcome". These reactors will be welcome.
"for a Russian economy that is simply not doing too well." = for the Russian economy, which is doing poorly = for the Russian economy, which is a basket case = for the Russian economy which is stuffed.

The poorly-performing Russian economy will welcome these expensive new reactors.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the Russians are making and selling the reactors (nuclear reactors presumably) rather than buying them.

It is the profit form the sale of the reactors that would help the Russian economy that is being welcomed, not from buying the expensive reactors surely!
not a teacher

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think you're right- they're selling some reactors to India for example, but isn't that implied in Raymott's answer by the use of expensive?

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think you're right- they're selling some reactors to India for example, but isn't that implied in Raymott's answer by the use of expensive?

No, Raymott's sentence seems to imply that the Russians welcome the purchase rather than the sales of the reactors.

The poorly-performing Russian economy will welcome (the sales of?) these expensive new reactors.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, Raymott's sentence seems to imply that the Russians welcome the purchase rather than the sales of the reactors.

The poorly-performing Russian economy will welcome (the sales of?) these expensive new reactors.
You could be right. The previous sentence in the text would probably give the context.

Status
Not open for further replies.