Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I came across this phrase in the novel Out of Africa:

"We had in Africa a kind of perch, which was good to eat, and we dwelt much upon the idea of rich fishing on the farm. It was not, however, an easy thing to get them, the Game-Department had set out perch in ponds but would let nobody fish there yet"

Please could someone tell me the meaning of "set-out" here. Does it mean The department allow to put perch there, in the ponds.

Many thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The department had put perch into the ponds.

Last edited:

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
....,the Game-Department had set out perch in ponds but would let nobody fish there yet.

I have never heard of "set out" used like this. From the context, I would say the word "stocked" would be more common where I am from. "stocked" means to introduce fish to a pond,lake or stream in order to boost the fish population of that area. They might not allow people to fish the areas immediately in order to allow the fish to adjust to their new environment and increase their population.

"...., the Game-Department had stocked perch in ponds but would let nobody fish there yet."

Last edited:

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please could someone tell me the meaning of "set-out" here. Does it mean The department allow to put perch there, in the ponds.
The text says "set out", not set-out.