Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In talking about her friend's actions in the past (5 years ago), my student said, "She'd go to the mall the next day and buy things she couldn't afford".

Questions:

(1) Does "she'd go" equal "she would go"?
(2) What tense is "would go"?
(3) Can "would go" be used to talk about the future (the nex day)?
(4) Could I say "She went to the mall" instead of "She'd go to the mall" and if not, why not?

I think I'm in need of a holiday! :eek:)

Thanks in advance!

Catherine C.

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
In talking about her friend's actions in the past (5 years ago), my student said, "She'd go to the mall the next day and buy things she couldn't afford".

Hi Catherine. Still skiing up there. When the season done?

Questions:

(1) Does "she'd go" equal "she would go"? Yup.
(2) What tense is "would go"? It's not a tense. It's modal verb would being used as 'would in the past for a future' OR modal verb would being used to describe what was a habitual nature for this girl.
(3) Can "would go" be used to talk about the future (the next day)? Yup, in its capacity as 'would in the past for a future' OR the second one mentioned above. The habitual nature thing, being habitual, has to be available for use in all time situations, right?
(4) Could I say "She went to the mall" instead of "She'd go to the mall" and if not, why not? Yeah, you could but then you'd miss whichever nuance was meant.

I think I'm in need of a holiday! :eek:)

You're in Whistler. Isn't that a holiday and a half!? :)

Thanks in advance!

Catherine C.

%

Catherine C.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks very much! Still TONS of snow and unseasonably cold! No spring skiing yet...everyone is waiting with baited breath! I'm craving the sun as never before! :eek:)...C.

Status
Not open for further replies.