Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:
Since her mother left, Evelin's preteen shuffle has given way to a sultry stroll. Those swaying hips unsettle her grandmother.

What does "shuffle" means?

Shuffle: To slide (the feet) along the floor or ground while walking?

And what does "sultry" mean?

Sultry: Sensual; voluptuous?

Her preteen shuffle has given way to a sensual stroll?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She has lost her innocent walk and started walking in a sexier manner.;-)

NewHope

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it just depicting how the way of her walking changed?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
NewHope said:
Is it just depicting how the way of her walking changed?

Yes, and more. From shyness (i.e., preteen shuffle/pre-puberty stage) to confidence (i.e., sultry stroll/puberty stage).

shuffle and stroll describe ways of walking. When one shuffles their feet, they are said to be shy; when one strolls, they are said to be confident. :D

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
FRC, it's a good point, though. :D What about rephrasing it? Maybe, :D

If a person shuffles their feet, it doesn't necessarily mean that person is shy. It could have to do with physical factors, such as a bad back or the type of shoes the person is wearing (e.g., thonged sandles, slippers).

By the way, I can relate. I live in Japan and slippers are the norm at home and at the office, especially if you are a guest. I've never been able to walk in guest slippers, especially the pleather ones (i.e., plastic-leather, fake leather). My feet slip and slide; I always seem to lose one or half-step out of the other. (There's just no toe-grip in slippers or maybe it's just me that hasn't yet figured out the Art of the toe-grip.) The best I can do to keep the pleather skippers on my feet is to shuffle from one business meeting to another. It slows me down, a lot, but I get there just the same. :lol:

Francois

Oh, sorry about that, I didn't mean it. Some Europeans certainly make things that look bad in Asia (or any part of the world), too. Let's delete that offensive comment then.

FRC

NewHope

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Casiopea's reply is very cool. :)

Francois

When you've taken as much bashing as the French recently, political correctness looks like a pretty abstract notion. That was a dumb post that could offend people, but let's keep using "human dignity" for more serious business.

FRC

NewHope

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi Francois,

You've completely confused me (I don't mean your language confused me).
It seems that is OT?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Francois said:
When you've taken as much bashing as the French recently, political correctness looks like a pretty abstract notion. That was a dumb post that could offend people, but let's keep using "human dignity" for more serious business.

FRC

It wasn't a "dumb post"; it just needed rewording so as to express the point without offending anyone. :wink: Sometimes, I say "dumb" things. We all do. If we didn't, we'd be suspect! We're only human. :D

Oh, I'm no stranger to 'bashing'. :oops: I'm a French Canadian who grew up in English Canada, and now, in Asia, I'm considered an English Westerner--a foreigner. I'm "placed" (i.e., labeled) yet displaced (i.e., no country to call home). :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.