Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack

Are these correct? What do they mean?

1. Only the side of my truck went over the curb. (
2. Only one side of my truck went over the curb. (Does this make sense? If I say one side, so does that mean my car has two sides? Is that right?)

What is the difference in meaing between #1 and #2?

Are these correct? What do they mean?
3. Only a part of my truck went up.
4. Only part of my truck went up.

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
Hi Jack,

Re 1 & 2: Both mean essentially the same thing-- not all of the truck went over the curb, but just the two wheels on one side or the other.

Re 3 & 4: Both are grammatically correct, but neither is semantically meaningful to me. If we finished the sentence thus: 'only (a) part of my truck went up over the curb', then they would have about the same meaning as 1 & 2.

jack

'only (a) part of my truck went up over the curb', then they would have about the same meaning as 1 & 2.

So I can either use 'a' or leave it out? Why can I do that? Isn't 'part' countable? Don't I need an article there?

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
jack said:
So I can either use 'a' or leave it out? Why can I do that? Isn't 'part' countable? Don't I need an article there?

'Part' is one of those words that can be countable or non-count, Jack, considered to mean either 'a section of' or 'some of'.

Swan (Practical English Usage) expresses it more tentatively, saying " 'A' is usually dropped before 'part' if there is no adjective':

'Part of the roof was missing.'
'A large part of the roof was missing.' "

Status
Not open for further replies.