simple past or present perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Member Type
Student or Learner
:hi:

Joy and I have decided (decide) to go to the rock concert next Saturday. Do you want to come with us?
No, thanks. I saw (see) those two groups on TV last month, and I ____________ (not like) them at all.

I would use haven't liked in this sentence. But my books' answer is didn't like :shock: .
Why I have to use simple past :?

Francois

I see what you mean, but you must use the simple past because of "last month" -- it's a finite event in the past, even if it has consequences on the present.

FRC

Dany

Member Type
Student or Learner
Francois said:
I see what you mean, but you must use the simple past because of "last month" -- it's a finite event in the past, even if it has consequences on the present.

FRC

Sorry, but this I don't understand :cry:
When something happens in the past, and it has consequences in the present, than I also have to use the present perfect, haven't I?

In this sentence he said, that he saw the two groups in TV last month. But he havn't liked them from that time till now, did he?

Kind regards,
Dany

Francois

Well, no -- he didn't like them when he saw them on TV last month. Once you use an expression like "last month", "two years ago" etc., you have no choice: you must use the simple past, as you have precisely set all these events at a given point in the past.
The sentence "I didn't like them" is linked to the event "I saw them on TV", thus the tenses must be consistent.

FRC

Dany

Member Type
Student or Learner
Francois said:
Well, no -- he didn't like them when he saw them on TV last month. Once you use an expression like "last month", "two years ago" etc., you have no choice: you must use the simple past, as you have precisely set all these events at a given point in the past.
The sentence "I didn't like them" is linked to the event "I saw them on TV", thus the tenses must be consistent.

FRC

Thanks for your help :D

:angel: Now I understand it :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.