Simple Present Vs Present Perfect Continuous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Here is the sentence used by an English teacher in youtube's videos.
"I find it awkward working with Peter ever since I turned him down for a date."
Here, simple present is used instead of present perfect continuous.
When should I go for simple present instead of present perfect continuous?

Thanks,
Ravi

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Today) I find it awkward working with Peter ever since I turned him down for a date (last week.)

you could also say:
"I am finding it awkward working with Peter ever since I turned him down for a date."

The verb tense is written how you feel presently, based on what happened in the past.

Member Type
Student or Learner
I feel present continuous you have used is addressing only the present situation.
Is it also talking about how you feel in the complete period after the incident happened?

Can I use,"I have been finding it awkward working with Peter ever since I turned him down for a date"?

Thanks,
Ravi

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
"I am finding it awkward working with Peter ever since I turned him down for a date."

The 'ever since' makes the tense in this sentence incorrect.
Compare:
"I am finding it awkward working with Peter because i once turned him down for a date."
The meaning of the tense is that I am currently working with Peter and find it awkward.

"I have been finding it awkward working with Peter ever since I turned him down for a date"

I was working with Peter at the time he asked me to go out on a date. I declined; and ever since, I have been feeling uncomfortable/awkward working with him. (Peter and I are still working together.)

Status
Not open for further replies.