Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

One issue that arises with single-handed round-the-world racing is that of verifying that the competitor has actually sailed around the world.

They had two single-handed encounters.

I have to do it single-handed.

single-handed = unaided, unsupported, managed or done by one person or with one on a side

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

One issue that arises with single-handed round-the-world racing is that of verifying that the competitor has actually sailed around the world.

I don't understand this one. A single-handed encounter between more than one person seems to be an oxymoron.

I have to do it single-handed.
Some people would use the adverb here - single-handedly. It's one of those adjectives that often function as an adverb.

single-handed = unaided, unsupported, managed or done by one person or with one on a side
Yes.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
R.

Reactions: vil

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I don't understand this one. A single-handed encounter between more than one person seems to be an oxymoron.

I guess vil meant two people meeting up on behalf of their country/company/etc.
Offroad

Last edited:
Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.