smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Dear teachers.

"The clothes smelled like soup."

I found this expression in a book. I have a question about the use of SMELL. If I had to express this fact, I would say "The clothes smelled OF like soup". Does my expression sound natural? And would you tell me why in this situation OF is not used?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It would certainly be unusual for clothes to smell like soup, but the use of the word like in that fashion is just right. We would not use of there. (Why one word is used and not another can be difficult of impossible to explain. Might as well explain how the words themselves came about.)

• It smelled like rotten eggs.
    It smelled like stinky feet.
    It smelled like burnt toast.
    It smelled like a wet dog.
    It was a smell like marsh gas.
    It smelled like cow manure.
    It smelled like wet grass.
    It smelled like fresh coffee.

:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Like = similar to
Of is used when that is exactly what the thing smells of. So a cigarette smoker's clothes would smeel of smoke. Here, like is used to suggest that the smell was similar, not that the clothes had soup on them. ;-)

dduck

ai said:
Dear teachers.

"The clothes smelled like soup."

If I had to express this fact, I would say "The clothes smelled OF like soup". Does my expression sound natural? And would you tell me why in this situation OF is not used?

Perhaps, you meant to write "The clothes smelled of soup". This sounds perfectly natural. To me, "smell of soup" and "small like soup" are identical.

Iain

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
dduck said:
Perhaps, you meant to write "The clothes smelled of soup". This sounds perfectly natural.

But he didn't write it. He found it in a book. :wink:

It is true that "smell of soup" would work just fine, especially if the clothes had soup on them.

dduck said:
To me, "smell of soup" and "small like soup" are identical.

It could be the same if the the clothes smelled like soup because they had soup on them.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.