Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello,
A famous song by Shadei is entitled "smooth operator". What does it mean? At first I thought it had something to do with a telephone call, but then I realized it couldn't be such operator. What do you think?
Rip

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's someone who is very cool and can handle people well. ;-)

N

Natalie27

tdol said:

"Sweet operator", to me, is a sweet talker, smooth talker, someone who can easily steal a girl's/boy's heart but whose feelings are NOT genuine or true. :lol:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Couldn't they also be true? ;-)

N

Natalie27

tdol said:

yes, it could be both but it doesn't necessarily mean that these people can handle others very well. For example, sales people are smooth operators and they get on most people's nerves. Maybe they can handle us better than we can handle them.
Smooth operators basically have the gift of the gab but I am not too sure they can always handle people very well.

that's just my 2 cents. :lol:

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Natalie27,

I'm glad I can offer a credible explanation. Back in the 70's the song "Smooth Operator" was extremely popular where I live. I had an excellent English teacher at that time, with whom we used to analyse and explain lyrics of various pop and rock songs (sometimes a challenging task, even for a native speaker, I was told!).

In "Smooth Operator" the title expression means 'a skilled and experienced lover'. If you listen to the song carefully you'll find the above explanation well grounded.

BTW, the singer's name is spelled Sade Ado, Shadei being a close phonetic equivalent.

Regards to all - T.K.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Natalie27,

I'm glad I can offer a credible explanation. Back in the 70's the song "Smooth Operator" was extremely popular where I live. I had an excellent English teacher at that time, with whom we used to analyse and explain lyrics of various pop and rock songs (sometimes a challenging task, even for a native speaker, I was told!).

In "Smooth Operator" the title expression means 'a skilled and experienced lover'. If you listen to the song carefully you'll find the above explanation well grounded.

BTW, the singer's name is spelled Sade Ado, Shadei being a close phonetic equivalent.

Regards to all - T.K.

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm really sorry - I have no idea how come my reply is posted twice. To the Moderator: please delete the redundant reply, if possible. Thank you.

N

Natalie27

Tomasz Klimkiewicz said:
Natalie27,

Regards to all - T.K.

Thanks Tomasz, that's very interesting and I believe you 100% that it indeed refers to a lover. After all, the question WAS about that particular song! If you look that word up on the web, it can mean so many different things...it can be a name for an orbital sender, a Jazz musician or a cell phone. Boy, I suppose there is a wide range of meanings associated with that phrase.

Welcome to the forum, Tomasz!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.