Academic
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Hi there,

On several occasions, while looking through the posts or watching billboard ads, I stumbled upon the word 'snap'.

I could not get the meaning of the word even when I looked it in the dictionary.

Can you please explain the word, and its usage.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

Does this help? It's difficult to say without context.

Last edited:

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: In order to understand the figurative usage, documented in CS's link, it helps to understand the non-figurative usage documented in Bhai's! So you need to 'join up the dots'!

b

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS We're all assuming a context that makes 'Snap' mean something like 'Look, I've got the same <noun>.' There are other meanings - an easy thing, a short spell of weather, an informal photograph, a noise, a breakage...
You know what to do (hint: it's the only place where 'success' comes before 'effort') ;-)

b

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's also used as a rejoinder to a remark, usually humorous, made at someone else's expense. Sort of like "Oh, he got you good with that remark!"

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In the context mentioned by the OP, I believe it was something like this:

Two moderators (if I remember correctly, one of them was Rover_KE; the other one might have been 5jj), gave approximately the same answer to a question, but one of them did so about one minute earlier. After the second answer appeared, the "faster" moderator then posted again, simply writing "Snap!" (humorously telling the other moderator "I was faster this time").

As I recall it, that same day there had already been two or three such near-coincidences in answering, and it sort of created the atmosphere for that "snap!" thingy that the OP mentions.

charliedeut

PS If any of the implied, or mentioned, moderators read this and find it inaccurate, please feel free to enlighten us all with your wisdom ;-)

PPS: I've found it!:-D https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/178310-any.html (I believe it's this "Snap!" that the OP was making reference to). By the way, I was right about Rover, but wrong about 5jj: the second moderator implied was bhai, as you'll see).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.