So have I/So do I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MashUK

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,
Is it correct to use as a short answer to "She has three dogs." "So does he." Or shall we use "So has he"?
I have also heard that to a sentence "I've got a dog." we reply "So have they" because "have" is an auxiliary verb here. The same as in a sentence "She has never been to Rome." "Neither have I." Am i right?

Thank you a lot in advance.
All the best,
Maria

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
"She has three dogs." "So does he."

Or should we use "So has he"
- 'does' is more colloquial, casual, and 'has' is just a little bit more formal in speech.

I have also heard that to a sentence "I've got a dog." we reply "So have they" because "have" is an auxiliary verb here. -yes - or, "So do they."

The same as in a sentence "She has never been to Rome." "Neither have I." Am i right? Yes - that is the correct reply

MashUK

Member Type
English Teacher
"She has three dogs." "So does he."

Or should we use "So has he" - 'does' is more colloquial, casual, and 'has' is just a little bit more formal in speech. I would appreciate it if you could tell me why you changed "shall" into "should". Wasn't "shall" correctly used in that case in the meaning of "asking for directions"? Does "should" sound better here? Thought "shall" was the only possible variant for the situation described above.
Thank you.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I have also heard that to a sentence "I've got a dog." we reply "So have they" because "have" is an auxiliary verb here. -yes - or, "So do they."

I can't agree with you on that, David. have got is a semi-modal, so you can't actually use the operators do and does to make a statement like the above - it's only have that is correct:

She has a Ferrari.
So does he. (common usage)
So has he. (old-fashioned; more formal)

She has got a Ferrari.
So has he. (common usage)
So does he. (incorrect)

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.