Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
During lunch, Teresa joins her sorority sisters. Danielle scolds another sister, Becky for bringing the food:

Danielle: What's wrong with that? So not Kappa cuisine. And is that chocolate milk I see?
Becky: I missed breakfast.

What is the meaning of "so not"?
Source: Happy Death Day (2017)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It really is not 'kappa cuisine'. (Whatever that is.)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Well, one has to be one's self, Piscean. To pretend to be otherwise would be dishonest. ;-)

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
During lunch, Teresa joins her sorority sisters. Danielle scolds another sister, Becky, for bringing the food….
Kingston, you've repeatedly made the same error. I corrected it above, and other members have corrected it over and over again in other posts.

The word Becky is a parenthetical expression; that is, an expression which is inserted into a sentence which would be syntactically complete without it. Please read about parenthetical expressions here and study the page so you will stop making this mistake.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It really is not 'kappa cuisine'. (Whatever that is.)

The work Kappa is one of the three words in the sorority's Greek name. For instance, students with high grades sometimes join the Phi Beta Kappa Society.

Kappa cuisine is food that a member of the sorority would normally eat. Whatever Becky is eating, it isn't standard fare for their Greek house.

Are they gourmets? Or are they junk food junkies? Since Daneille comments on the chocolate milk, we might guess that she looks down on junk food and expects her Greek sisters to eat a healthier or fancier diet: Kappa Kuisine.

Kingston, in that quote, the adjective "so," placed where it is, is slang that roughly means "extremely." It's known as Valleyspeak. Here's a demonstration: I'm like so OMG. For total immersion, see Clueless.

(But if you talk that way, don't expect anyone over 22 to take you seriously!)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
“Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

That is so Schopenhauer.

To use it as a signature in a language forum. So bhai.

As a huge admirer of Herr Schopenhauer, I just want to say how delighted I was to see this quote as bhaisahab's signature.

:):) (Yes -- a double smiley!)